Posted on 02-23-2011
Superfeedr is now supporting PubSubHubbub for data APIs. PubSubHubbub was initially created for XML to alleviate the number of times a feed is polled versus how many times it actually has an update. The bandwidth consumption and server load of an API can be reduced greatly by adding a PubSubHubbub layer on a data API. Primary areas of a Superfeedr PubSubHubbub deployment are:
- Resource Identification - Identify what services your developers / applications are polling the most. Identify how many requests are made against how many times information was returned.
- Push Discovery - Indication to any applications polling your API that the content being polled is available in a push fashion by adding an HTTP header to the API responses which mentions the Superfeedr hub.
- Secure Subscriptions - Define a subscription callback URL where Superfeedr will echo all subscriptions to the API content, including the HTTP headers and any additional parameter provided by the subscriber.
Notifications - Superfeedr needs to know when content is updated so they can notify users. This is done in two ways:
- Fat pings - An API owner can push content to Superfeeder and they will parse the content and push it forward to subscribers.
- Light pings - Provide URL that has been updated and Superfeedr will update poll and update users.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions