Posted on 02-23-2011
Superfeedr is now supporting PubSubHubbub for data APIs. PubSubHubbub was initially created for XML to alleviate the number of times a feed is polled versus how many times it actually has an update. The bandwidth consumption and server load of an API can be reduced greatly by adding a PubSubHubbub layer on a data API. Primary areas of a Superfeedr PubSubHubbub deployment are:
- Resource Identification - Identify what services your developers / applications are polling the most. Identify how many requests are made against how many times information was returned.
- Push Discovery - Indication to any applications polling your API that the content being polled is available in a push fashion by adding an HTTP header to the API responses which mentions the Superfeedr hub.
- Secure Subscriptions - Define a subscription callback URL where Superfeedr will echo all subscriptions to the API content, including the HTTP headers and any additional parameter provided by the subscriber.
Notifications - Superfeedr needs to know when content is updated so they can notify users. This is done in two ways:
- Fat pings - An API owner can push content to Superfeeder and they will parse the content and push it forward to subscribers.
- Light pings - Provide URL that has been updated and Superfeedr will update poll and update users.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet