Posted on 02-23-2011
Superfeedr is now supporting PubSubHubbub for data APIs. PubSubHubbub was initially created for XML to alleviate the number of times a feed is polled versus how many times it actually has an update. The bandwidth consumption and server load of an API can be reduced greatly by adding a PubSubHubbub layer on a data API. Primary areas of a Superfeedr PubSubHubbub deployment are:
- Resource Identification - Identify what services your developers / applications are polling the most. Identify how many requests are made against how many times information was returned.
- Push Discovery - Indication to any applications polling your API that the content being polled is available in a push fashion by adding an HTTP header to the API responses which mentions the Superfeedr hub.
- Secure Subscriptions - Define a subscription callback URL where Superfeedr will echo all subscriptions to the API content, including the HTTP headers and any additional parameter provided by the subscriber.
Notifications - Superfeedr needs to know when content is updated so they can notify users. This is done in two ways:
- Fat pings - An API owner can push content to Superfeeder and they will parse the content and push it forward to subscribers.
- Light pings - Provide URL that has been updated and Superfeedr will update poll and update users.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant
- Some Of The Common Building Blocks of Payment APIs
- API Badging and Credentialing To Demonstrate Skills
- Finding Good API Developer Talent Is Hard
- Common Building Blocks Of API Design
- APIs Coming Out Of The Netherlands
- API Evangelism Strategy: Landscape Analysis
- APIs At Your University
- API Evangelists Are A Thoughtful Voice That Spreads Awareness And Encourages Participation