Anatomy of a Self-Service Application Platform
08 Apr 2011
In addition to the growth in number of APIs
, and the evolution ofBizDev 2.0
, there is a rise in self-service application platforms accompanying APIs, within many cloud platforms.
Platforms such as Google Apps
are adding these self-service application development environments within their API ecosystem.
Each platform has its own approach to this type of self-service architecture, but there are many similar characteristics:
- Applications - Interface for defining new application characteristics.
- OpenID / OAuth / User Resource Access - Secure and granular access to users profile and resources.
- Development Environment - Controlled, secure environment for developers to build applications in.
- Application Branding - Branding of application and its profile on a platform.
- Application Approval Process - Approval process for bringing applications live.
- Marketplace Environment - Public or private marketplaces for developers to publish applications and platform users to browse / add applications.
is building in-roads into the enterprise using this model, and Facebook
has found success with social gaming using a similar approach.
APis have opened up new business development opportunities, self-service application platforms takes this development to a new level.