Anatomy of a Self-Service Application Platform
08 Apr 2011In addition to the growth in number of APIs, and the evolution ofBizDev 2.0, there is a rise in self-service application platforms accompanying APIs, within many cloud platforms. Platforms such as Google Apps and Box.net are adding these self-service application development environments within their API ecosystem. Each platform has its own approach to this type of self-service architecture, but there are many similar characteristics:
- Applications - Interface for defining new application characteristics.
- OpenID / OAuth / User Resource Access - Secure and granular access to users profile and resources.
- Development Environment - Controlled, secure environment for developers to build applications in.
- Application Branding - Branding of application and its profile on a platform.
- Application Approval Process - Approval process for bringing applications live.
- Marketplace Environment - Public or private marketplaces for developers to publish applications and platform users to browse / add applications.