Posted on 04-10-2011
Rdio is a music streaming service, where users can access music via the web or mobile phone for a monthly fee. Using Mashery, Rdio provides a RESTful API where you can do just about anything you can trough the web interface. Rdio provides a pretty significant incentive for their developers, in the form of revenue sharing. Developers of the Rdio API can earn recurring revenue each month for every new subscriber recruited through their application. Also developers can earn revenue each time someone purchases and downloads an MP3 file from the service. Through the Rdio Affiliate Program developers can earn from between 2% and 7% for purchases made within a 30-day cookie window. Having an API affiliate program seems like a logical way to incentivize developers to build applications. An API owner should have an established monetization strategy for their API, and it should outline how revenue will be generated. Having a way to track and attribute sales to your API developers makes a lot of sense, and sharing revenue with developers will ensure they will keep building new ways to attract users to a service via the API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Swagger 2.0 For The Docker API
- On Being An API Broker For Hackathons
- Are You A Hypermedia Pragmatist?
- Do You Know That Hypermedia Is A Better Solution For Discovery Than APIs.json?
- API Service Idea: API Via Excel From Within Corporate Email
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke
- Swagger Definition Driven Sandbox And Simulation Data Templates For APIs
- Swagger API Definition Mapper