Posted on 04-11-2011
I just finished reading, Will 3-D Printing End Mass Manufacturing, on Mashable.
I also had a link to an open source manufacturing site bookmarked from a couple months ago.
And of course I live and breathe Web APIs on a daily basis.
So after reading all this, my mind starts thinking about open source manufacturing processes bundled with open web APIs, and the future of 3-D printing and / or manufacturing.
- Open Source Manufacturing - Open source manufacturing lets you download hardware, blue-prints, and instructions for any potential manufacturing process.
- Web-APIs - An interface that allows application developers to build on top of data or another application.
- 3-D Printing -3D printing is a form of additive manufacturing technology where a three dimensional object is created by laying down successive layers of material.
When you start thinking of this in terms of local, cottage style manufacturing, I can see lots ofpossibilities.
Imagine, a group of people in a small town, research a need for a component or product. Buy a 3-D Printer, register it with a open API manufacturing network (say based on Google Cloud Print). Now they can take orders in real-time over the Internet.
An open source manufacturing network that uses web APIs to receive jobs in real-time and builds products using 3-D printers.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New Github Developer Program and Integrations Page
- I Have A Valuable API Resource, What Now?
- A Better Understanding Of Government APIs And Their Consumers Before Considering Charging For Use
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant
- Some Of The Common Building Blocks of Payment APIs
- API Badging and Credentialing To Demonstrate Skills
- Finding Good API Developer Talent Is Hard
- Common Building Blocks Of API Design
- APIs Coming Out Of The Netherlands