Posted on 04-17-2011
I've been watching my girlfriend Audrey Watters, evolve her online presence as a freelance writer working for ReadWriteWeb, O'Reilly, NPR Mindshift, and other high profile blogs. @AudreyWatters has large Twitter following, however she keeps her Facebook very private. A growing portion of her user base are sending her Facebook friend requests, because she keeps her profile private, she doesn't accept. So naturally she created a Facebook page. I watched her install the Facebook like social plug-in to the single.php file, which will display it on each blog post, and added an activity feed social plug-in to the sidebar of her blog. She runs her blog on Wordpress, and was able to do this easily. Facebook social plug-ins make your site social, but by using the Open Graph Protocol she was able to offer a deeper integration with Facebook. By having her blog integrated with the Open Graph API she is able to push content to her "fans" Facebook wall, increasing the reach of her blog to their social streams. Audrey got her inspiration to do this from the Journalist on Facebook fan page, a page created by Facebook to educate journalists about best practices using Facebook to disseminate information. I see Facebook doing two things to encourage this kind of API usage:
- API User Targeting - Going beyond the current definition of partner and (internal and external)l developer focus, and identifying other target groups of users beyond the developer community, and providing a Facebook page and other information for a target group.
- API Embed Strategy - Facebook has a great API embed strategy, providing a suite of embeddable tools that any user can use to make their sites social -- extending their sites reach to Facebook, while also expanding Facebook's presence on to other sites.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform
- Next Stable Version of APIs.json + APIs.io Is Ready - Are Your APIs Discoverable?
- Expanding API Gateway Connectors Into A World of API Deployment Startups
- Where The Good IPAs Are In Chicago While At API Strategy And Practice In September
- The Blog For Your API Is The Most Important Signals You Can Send
- Public APIs Are Tough When You Are In A Tightly Controlled Industry
- Give Me A URL To Request Then Store My API Keys In My Private Github Repo
- Mapping The World Of Internal APIs Via Rogue API Registry
- Continuing With The API Restaurant Analogy