Posted on 04-17-2011
I've been watching my girlfriend Audrey Watters, evolve her online presence as a freelance writer working for ReadWriteWeb, O'Reilly, NPR Mindshift, and other high profile blogs. @AudreyWatters has large Twitter following, however she keeps her Facebook very private. A growing portion of her user base are sending her Facebook friend requests, because she keeps her profile private, she doesn't accept. So naturally she created a Facebook page. I watched her install the Facebook like social plug-in to the single.php file, which will display it on each blog post, and added an activity feed social plug-in to the sidebar of her blog. She runs her blog on Wordpress, and was able to do this easily. Facebook social plug-ins make your site social, but by using the Open Graph Protocol she was able to offer a deeper integration with Facebook. By having her blog integrated with the Open Graph API she is able to push content to her "fans" Facebook wall, increasing the reach of her blog to their social streams. Audrey got her inspiration to do this from the Journalist on Facebook fan page, a page created by Facebook to educate journalists about best practices using Facebook to disseminate information. I see Facebook doing two things to encourage this kind of API usage:
- API User Targeting - Going beyond the current definition of partner and (internal and external)l developer focus, and identifying other target groups of users beyond the developer community, and providing a Facebook page and other information for a target group.
- API Embed Strategy - Facebook has a great API embed strategy, providing a suite of embeddable tools that any user can use to make their sites social -- extending their sites reach to Facebook, while also expanding Facebook's presence on to other sites.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet