Posted on 04-23-2011
One of the core principles of cloud computing is its pay-as-you-go billing model. As APIs are a essential part of cloud computing, it seems natural that this same model be used there as well. In other words, you pay based on how many calls you make to the API. But there are other ways to handle payments. Rather than billing at the end of a month based on the number of calls made, you can offer developers the option to prepay. While they're still billed based on calls, that bill is paid in advance. Phaxio, an API that allows developers to integrate faxing capabilities into their applications, is one example of this. Under your account settings, Phaxio provides a Recharge your Balance tool for paying for calls made via the API. You can select an amount between $10.00 and $1,000.00, enter a credit card and billing information, and prepay for all calls made to the API. All incoming and outgoing faxes through the Phaxio API are 7� per page, debited against your prepaid account balance. A prepaid billing model for APIs make a lot of sense, concerns about potentially out of control cloud computing bills are common. Paying for estimated API use ahead of time is a great way to keep development and IT costs under control.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Is Your API More Than Just A Footnote On Your Website?
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization