Posted on 04-25-2011
I'm watching the future of manufacturing and printing unfold slowly in front of us. I'm paying attention to 3D printing solutions evolving from companies like Shapeways, MakerBot, Materialise, ZCorp, and Objet. At the same time I'm involved with the rollout of Google Cloud Print Services Interface, an API for managing printing to any printer over the Internet. I'm using Google Docs as a publishing platform, integrating Google Cloud Print with the Mimeo Connect API and evolving whats possible with commercial cloud printing. Google has added support for many more native file formats in Google Docs. Now all they need to do is add support for common 3D printing file formats:
- .stl - STL is a file format native to the stereolithography CAD software created by 3D Systems.
- .iges - The Initial Graphics Exchange Specification (IGES) (pronounced eye-jess) defines a neutral data format that allows the digital exchange of information among Computer-aided design (CAD) systems.
- .obj - OBJ (or .OBJ) is a geometry definition file format first developed by Wavefront Technologies for its Advanced Visualizer animation package. The file format is open and has been adopted by other 3D graphics application vendors. For the most part it is a universally accepted format.
- .3ds - 3DS is one of the file formats used by the Autodesk 3ds Max 3D modeling, animation and rendering software.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization
- Project Idea: Codenvy-Like Containerized Spreadsheets