Posted on 05-18-2011
3D printing doesn't always start with a human designer or creator. There are wide variety of 3D scanners that can be used in the 3D printing process.
A 3D scanner is a device that analyzes a real-world object to collect data on its shape and possibly its appearance. The resulting data can then be used to construct 3D models.
3D scanning is no replacement for a human designer, but can offer a good start creating a 3D representation.
Each 3D scanner has its benefits and limitations, and resulting data will always need much work before it can be used in 3D printing.
3D scanners can offer a lot of benefit in rapid prototyping, and reverse engineering of existing objects.
Just like 3D printers you will find a wide range of 3D scanners, in both functionality and price.
You can also find innovative hobbyists employing tools like the Xbox Kinect for generating 3D scans.
3D Scanners are just the one possible link in an evolving 3D print and manufacturing supply chain.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape