Posted on 05-18-2011
Once in production, a 3D model will be printed layer by layer using one of four potential 3D printing processes and corresponding materials:
- Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) - SLS is an additive manufacturing technique that uses a high power laser to fuse small particles of plastic, metal, ceramic, or glass powders into a mass that has a desired 3-dimensional shape.
- Stereolithography (SLA) - Stereolithography is an additive manufacturing process using a vat of liquid UV-curable photopolymer resin and a UV laser to build parts a layer at a time. On each layer, the laser beam traces a part cross-section pattern on the surface of the liquid resin.
- Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) - FDM works on an additive principle by laying down material in layers. A plastic filament or metal wire is unwound from a coil and supplies material to an extrusion nozzle which can turn on and off the flow.
- Laminate Object Manufacturing (LOM) - LOM is a rapid prototyping system that layers adhesive-coated paper, plastic, or metal laminates are successively glued together and cut to shape with a knife or laser cutter.
These are four of the common 3D printing methodologies and since the introduction of metal, 3D printing has moved past prototyping and art and has become a viable manufacturing technology.
3D printing processes and materials are the link that allows virtual to become physical in the 3D print and manufacturing supply chain.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Maybe I Am Missing Something, But Where Is Your Pricing Page?
- I Find It Interesting That Wordnik Created The API Definition Format Swagger
- Autogenerate Runscope-powered API SDKs Using APIMatic
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week