Posted on 06-22-2011
APIs are hot right now. With the success of Twitter, Twilio, Facebook and others -- due in no small part to their APIs -- the enterprise space is taking notice. The demand for enterprise API services is increasing, with a number of services providers stepping up to compete for the business. As this happens, there are three major areas that may prove challenging for API service providers targeting the enterprise space: Developers: Wide range of vendor, partner, and public developer needs and expectations.
- Open and Accessible - A public, self-service and accessible API ecosystem, with less of an enterprise feel
- Documentation - Simple, yet complete API documentation
- Common Tools - Forums, Mobile SK, explorers and other tools developers have grown accustom to.
- Monetization - The ability to make money from their work.
- Legal - Whole new worlds of legal concerns for some companies
- Transparency - Struggles with what transparent means? And how much is too much?
- Branding - What happens to the brand? Where are pitfalls? Where are opportunities?
- Non-IT - More engagement from non-IT decision makers when deploying APIs.
- Tools - Reports, widgets and other GUI tools that allow decision makers to put APIs to work.
- Secure - Mission critical security in all areas.
- Scalable - Scalability has to be baked in.
- SLA - Service levels have to be guaranteed.
- On-Premise - Ability to deliver behind the firewall.
- Private Cloud - Deploying in their private cloud infrastructure.
- Public Cloud - Deploy on public cloud infrastructure.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Maybe I Am Missing Something, But Where Is Your Pricing Page?
- I Find It Interesting That Wordnik Created The API Definition Format Swagger
- Autogenerate Runscope-powered API SDKs Using APIMatic
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week