Posted on 06-22-2011
APIs are hot right now. With the success of Twitter, Twilio, Facebook and others -- due in no small part to their APIs -- the enterprise space is taking notice. The demand for enterprise API services is increasing, with a number of services providers stepping up to compete for the business. As this happens, there are three major areas that may prove challenging for API service providers targeting the enterprise space: Developers: Wide range of vendor, partner, and public developer needs and expectations.
- Open and Accessible - A public, self-service and accessible API ecosystem, with less of an enterprise feel
- Documentation - Simple, yet complete API documentation
- Common Tools - Forums, Mobile SK, explorers and other tools developers have grown accustom to.
- Monetization - The ability to make money from their work.
- Legal - Whole new worlds of legal concerns for some companies
- Transparency - Struggles with what transparent means? And how much is too much?
- Branding - What happens to the brand? Where are pitfalls? Where are opportunities?
- Non-IT - More engagement from non-IT decision makers when deploying APIs.
- Tools - Reports, widgets and other GUI tools that allow decision makers to put APIs to work.
- Secure - Mission critical security in all areas.
- Scalable - Scalability has to be baked in.
- SLA - Service levels have to be guaranteed.
- On-Premise - Ability to deliver behind the firewall.
- Private Cloud - Deploying in their private cloud infrastructure.
- Public Cloud - Deploy on public cloud infrastructure.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio