Posted on 06-22-2011
APIs are hot right now. With the success of Twitter, Twilio, Facebook and others -- due in no small part to their APIs -- the enterprise space is taking notice. The demand for enterprise API services is increasing, with a number of services providers stepping up to compete for the business. As this happens, there are three major areas that may prove challenging for API service providers targeting the enterprise space: Developers: Wide range of vendor, partner, and public developer needs and expectations.
- Open and Accessible - A public, self-service and accessible API ecosystem, with less of an enterprise feel
- Documentation - Simple, yet complete API documentation
- Common Tools - Forums, Mobile SK, explorers and other tools developers have grown accustom to.
- Monetization - The ability to make money from their work.
- Legal - Whole new worlds of legal concerns for some companies
- Transparency - Struggles with what transparent means? And how much is too much?
- Branding - What happens to the brand? Where are pitfalls? Where are opportunities?
- Non-IT - More engagement from non-IT decision makers when deploying APIs.
- Tools - Reports, widgets and other GUI tools that allow decision makers to put APIs to work.
- Secure - Mission critical security in all areas.
- Scalable - Scalability has to be baked in.
- SLA - Service levels have to be guaranteed.
- On-Premise - Ability to deliver behind the firewall.
- Private Cloud - Deploying in their private cloud infrastructure.
- Public Cloud - Deploy on public cloud infrastructure.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- ReliefWeb Is Tackling The Worlds Biggest Problems Using APIs
- Turning Forms Into APIs: Crap In, Crap Out
- The Private Internal Tier Of My API Service Composition
- API Virtual Stack Composition Like The Absolut Drinks Data API
- An Operational Harness For My Screen Capture API
- Two Things I Learned On Traffic And Weather Today
- Keep Your API Developer Area Blog Up To Date
- Interesting Example of Social Page Over At Cisco
- External API Deployments Using Sync One Possible Future Of Government API Deployments
- What Are Some Good Examples of Hypermedia APIs?