Posted on 06-22-2011
There are many tools out there for working with Web APIs, but the one I am seeing used more and more is an API explorer. API explorers allow users to make calls and explore REST APIs using a Web interface -- all without writing code. These API explorers are making it a lot easier for developers to discover, learn, and integrate with Web APIs. I also think they have a lot more potential, beyond the developer community. Non-developers can use an API explorer to make calls against an API, retrieve JSON, and then use tools like Google Spreadsheets to process responses, building visualizations, and so on. There is a huge opportunity for API explorer providers to tap into the larger, non-developer community, and one of the easiest ways to do this may be by adding a widget layer to their applications. An API widget builder would have similar features to the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for APIs I proposed last week:
- API Discovery - Allowing users to discover and select pre-defined selection of RESTful APIs
- Authentication - Enable HTTP Basic and oAuth authentication with APIs
- Services - Render full list available services for selected API
- Request / Responses - Allow for building requests, manually sending, and seeing fresponses for selected API
- Github Integration - Allow adding and connecting to both private and public Github repositories
- Widget Builder - Provide tools for widget discovery, creation, connecting to APIs, configuration, sandbox, and copy / paste embeddable code for syndication.
- Export Tools - Ability to export any API responses to Google Spreadsheet, Microsoft Excel, Comma Separate or Tab Separated values.
- Deploying Smarter API Documentation (apievangelist.com)
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for APIs (apievangelist.com)
- New Widgets and Graph-like API Expands LinkedIn's Reach (programmableweb.com)
- LinkedIn API Platform and the Evolution of the API (apievangelist.com)
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Viewbook Uses Flickr API Design When Designing Their Own
- Expanding An API Designers Horizon Using Apiary
- What Version Of The API Economy Are You Investing In?
- I Am Up To 34 APIs Out Of The Netherlands
- Hello World Product API With Blueprint, RAML And Swagger
- The New Github Developer Program and Integrations Page
- I Have A Valuable API Resource, What Now?
- A Better Understanding Of Government APIs And Their Consumers Before Considering Charging For Use
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant