Posted on 06-23-2011
This is one story I'm sure I will be telling over and over. Its about providing self-service registration to your API, and access to your documentation. I'm working my way through 78 travel APIs right now, reviewing each of them for a series of travel industry API stories. I'm only halfway through, and about 25% of them require me to email them or submit a contact form to get access to their API. I can understand doing this if your goal is to only work with partners and vendors, but all of these APIs came from the ProgrammableWeb API directory. So I assume your goal is to target a wider public audience. Here is how your approach is hurting you:
- As a developer I need instant gratification. I need to make sure your API has what I need. I need to quickly get at your documentation, see your endpoints, and potentially be able to grab a code sample and see some results. If you can't provide this for me, someone else will.
- As an API blogger and writer I need immediate access. If I'm going to include you in my story for the travel industry APIs, and showcase what you offer. I need access, without waiting or talking to you, to see the value you deliver, and where you fit in.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format