Posted on 06-23-2011
This is one story I'm sure I will be telling over and over. Its about providing self-service registration to your API, and access to your documentation. I'm working my way through 78 travel APIs right now, reviewing each of them for a series of travel industry API stories. I'm only halfway through, and about 25% of them require me to email them or submit a contact form to get access to their API. I can understand doing this if your goal is to only work with partners and vendors, but all of these APIs came from the ProgrammableWeb API directory. So I assume your goal is to target a wider public audience. Here is how your approach is hurting you:
- As a developer I need instant gratification. I need to make sure your API has what I need. I need to quickly get at your documentation, see your endpoints, and potentially be able to grab a code sample and see some results. If you can't provide this for me, someone else will.
- As an API blogger and writer I need immediate access. If I'm going to include you in my story for the travel industry APIs, and showcase what you offer. I need access, without waiting or talking to you, to see the value you deliver, and where you fit in.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet