Posted on 09-01-2011
I finally made some time to write up a review of the new Infochimps Geo API, and I think their approach gives us a glimpse at the future of data APIs.
With the new Infochimps Geo API, Infochimps provides some very important features for developers:
- Aggregation of data from multiple sources
- Tying together with a simple schema
- Intelligent clustering and summarization
- Provide a flexible query interface
- Allow linking with other data sets
These are all problems developers face when working with Geo data, but they are also problems that are encountered when working with other data sets.
The future of delivering data via APIs is not just about providing access to the data via a simple RESTful interface (though that is a great start). It is also about actually solving the common problems developers face when integrating the data into their applications.
I think InfoChimps approach provides a model for other data APIs, and shows they have a viable business model that makes them more than just a data marketplace.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Making Sure The Most Important Layers Of API Space Stay Open
- A Common Place To Manage All The API Definitions In My World
- Swagger 2.0 For The Docker API
- On Being An API Broker For Hackathons
- Are You A Hypermedia Pragmatist?
- Do You Know That Hypermedia Is A Better Solution For Discovery Than APIs.json?
- API Service Idea: API Via Excel From Within Corporate Email
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke