Posted on 09-01-2011
I finally made some time to write up a review of the new Infochimps Geo API, and I think their approach gives us a glimpse at the future of data APIs.
With the new Infochimps Geo API, Infochimps provides some very important features for developers:
- Aggregation of data from multiple sources
- Tying together with a simple schema
- Intelligent clustering and summarization
- Provide a flexible query interface
- Allow linking with other data sets
These are all problems developers face when working with Geo data, but they are also problems that are encountered when working with other data sets.
The future of delivering data via APIs is not just about providing access to the data via a simple RESTful interface (though that is a great start). It is also about actually solving the common problems developers face when integrating the data into their applications.
I think InfoChimps approach provides a model for other data APIs, and shows they have a viable business model that makes them more than just a data marketplace.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Hello World Product API With Blueprint, RAML And Swagger
- The New Github Developer Program and Integrations Page
- I Have A Valuable API Resource, What Now?
- A Better Understanding Of Government APIs And Their Consumers Before Considering Charging For Use
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant
- Some Of The Common Building Blocks of Payment APIs
- API Badging and Credentialing To Demonstrate Skills
- Finding Good API Developer Talent Is Hard
- Common Building Blocks Of API Design