Posted on 09-01-2011
I finally made some time to write up a review of the new Infochimps Geo API, and I think their approach gives us a glimpse at the future of data APIs.
With the new Infochimps Geo API, Infochimps provides some very important features for developers:
- Aggregation of data from multiple sources
- Tying together with a simple schema
- Intelligent clustering and summarization
- Provide a flexible query interface
- Allow linking with other data sets
These are all problems developers face when working with Geo data, but they are also problems that are encountered when working with other data sets.
The future of delivering data via APIs is not just about providing access to the data via a simple RESTful interface (though that is a great start). It is also about actually solving the common problems developers face when integrating the data into their applications.
I think InfoChimps approach provides a model for other data APIs, and shows they have a viable business model that makes them more than just a data marketplace.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Adding The OpenEd API To The API Commons
- PR People For APIs
- I Will Be At API Days in Paris This Week, Will You Be There?
- Government Services Schemas With JSON-LD
- University of California Student Senate Submits Bill Stating Student Information Systems Must Have API
- Generating The Utility APIs I Need For Each Developer Portal
- An API For Your Github GeoJSON Stores
- Server Side API Templates On AWS Cloud Formation And OpenShift
- Hypermedia In The Wild: Amazon AppStream API
- API Search Endpoint Using Solr