Posted on 09-01-2011
I finally made some time to write up a review of the new Infochimps Geo API, and I think their approach gives us a glimpse at the future of data APIs.
With the new Infochimps Geo API, Infochimps provides some very important features for developers:
- Aggregation of data from multiple sources
- Tying together with a simple schema
- Intelligent clustering and summarization
- Provide a flexible query interface
- Allow linking with other data sets
These are all problems developers face when working with Geo data, but they are also problems that are encountered when working with other data sets.
The future of delivering data via APIs is not just about providing access to the data via a simple RESTful interface (though that is a great start). It is also about actually solving the common problems developers face when integrating the data into their applications.
I think InfoChimps approach provides a model for other data APIs, and shows they have a viable business model that makes them more than just a data marketplace.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Maybe I Am Missing Something, But Where Is Your Pricing Page?
- I Find It Interesting That Wordnik Created The API Definition Format Swagger
- Autogenerate Runscope-powered API SDKs Using APIMatic
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week