Posted on 09-01-2011
I finally made some time to write up a review of the new Infochimps Geo API, and I think their approach gives us a glimpse at the future of data APIs.
With the new Infochimps Geo API, Infochimps provides some very important features for developers:
- Aggregation of data from multiple sources
- Tying together with a simple schema
- Intelligent clustering and summarization
- Provide a flexible query interface
- Allow linking with other data sets
These are all problems developers face when working with Geo data, but they are also problems that are encountered when working with other data sets.
The future of delivering data via APIs is not just about providing access to the data via a simple RESTful interface (though that is a great start). It is also about actually solving the common problems developers face when integrating the data into their applications.
I think InfoChimps approach provides a model for other data APIs, and shows they have a viable business model that makes them more than just a data marketplace.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- ReliefWeb Is Tackling The Worlds Biggest Problems Using APIs
- Turning Forms Into APIs: Crap In, Crap Out
- The Private Internal Tier Of My API Service Composition
- API Virtual Stack Composition Like The Absolut Drinks Data API
- An Operational Harness For My Screen Capture API
- Two Things I Learned On Traffic And Weather Today
- Keep Your API Developer Area Blog Up To Date
- Interesting Example of Social Page Over At Cisco
- External API Deployments Using Sync One Possible Future Of Government API Deployments
- What Are Some Good Examples of Hypermedia APIs?