Posted on 09-01-2011
I finally made some time to write up a review of the new Infochimps Geo API, and I think their approach gives us a glimpse at the future of data APIs.
With the new Infochimps Geo API, Infochimps provides some very important features for developers:
- Aggregation of data from multiple sources
- Tying together with a simple schema
- Intelligent clustering and summarization
- Provide a flexible query interface
- Allow linking with other data sets
These are all problems developers face when working with Geo data, but they are also problems that are encountered when working with other data sets.
The future of delivering data via APIs is not just about providing access to the data via a simple RESTful interface (though that is a great start). It is also about actually solving the common problems developers face when integrating the data into their applications.
I think InfoChimps approach provides a model for other data APIs, and shows they have a viable business model that makes them more than just a data marketplace.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- I Am Using Kimono Labs To Fill In Gap For Companies Who Do Not Have AN RSS Feed For Their Blog
- Someone Please Build My Open, Interactive, Portable, And Visual API Documentation Toolkit
- Dwolla Using Slate For An Evolved API Documentation Experience
- Crazy Mess Of URLs Across 400 Of The APIs In My Stack
- Reworking My API 101 Content: Consuming APIs
- I Need Help To Make Sure The Dept. of Agriculture Leads With APIs In Their Parks and Recreation RFP
- What Is The Biggest Challenge For Fraud Detection API SiftScience?
- Reworking My API 101 Content: Providing APIs
- What I Spent Ada Lovelace Day Working On
- An Outside-In Approach To Jumpstarting An API Effort At The University of Oklahoma