Posted on 09-13-2011
Last week I covered Centralized Geo Data with New InfoChimps API, and talked about how I felt it was a Look at the Future of Data. After writing I started thinking about other data that is ready for the same type of treatment that InfoChimps is giving geo data.
I was reading Audrey’s post today on O’Reilly today called, A new look for weather data, where she talks with WeatherSpark co-founder Jacob Norda about his company's approach to weather data and visualizations.
Norda talks about where the problems with traditional weather information are, how WeatherSpark gets its data, and how weather data can be improved overall.
It seems weather data suffers from all the same problems as geo data, such as multiple sources, varying schemas, huge datasets that are not easy linked with other sets of data. Weather data has huge legacy system usage as well as massive growth in generation and consumption with the introduction of sensors and mobile devices.
Norda concludes the interview by saying, “We're considering offering a unified API, but it's in the pre-roadmap stage at this point.” Seems like a common theme with data and APIs, lately.
What other areas of data are reaching this point, where developers could benefit from a unified API?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems