Posted on 09-20-2011
The Google+ Hangout API will provide developers with the ability to manipulate the UI, interact with hangout participants and respond to the different events that occur within a hangout. The functionality is reminiscent of the way Google Wave gadgets and robots could interact with a wave and its participants. I wonder if we are seeing some of the Google Wave code being recycled?
To use Google+ you have to register your application with Google, and specify any other Google+ users on your team that will be able to load the application into their hangout. Since the Google+ Hangouts API is only in developer preview, this is temporary requirement.
Once registered, apps behaves like a normal web app, but it also can take part in the real-time conversations within a hangout using the API. Google+ Hangout apps will use whats called a “shared state” among all instances, notifying users of changes by other application users in real-time.
The decision to release the Google+ clearly was a strategic move against Facebook, which I understand, but I still feel strongly that a empowering developers with a fully write enabled API from the beginning, is very important to setting the tone for the Google+ API ecosystem.
Many developers, including myself were not happy with the limited functionality of the initial Google+ API release. However, I could tell that Google was being cautious in their API roll-out, and there is potentially much more behind the scenes. I expect Google will be rolling out new APIs as they feel confident, or maybe when they feel it will give them a strategic advantage, like this week during the Facebook F8 conference.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Swagger Visualization Layer Using D3.js
- Establishing Common Dictionaries That Industries Can Use In Their API Design
- Top 5 Most Popular Themes On API Evangelist In 2014
- Query Parameter Determining Which Fields Are Queried For API Call
- Now Our Development Environment Is Now Containerized And Scalable Like Our Production Environment
- Guest Post: Let Our Sponsors Blow A Little Smoke Up Your Ass
- API Discovery Continues Its Move Into The IDE With Eclipse Che
- Evolving Beyond Just Resources Towards A More Experience Based API Design
- Another View of The API vs. Data Download Model
- If You Have A Publicly Available Mobile App You Have a Public API