Posted on 09-28-2011
One of the things I do here at API Evangelist is review APIs for their owners and provide suggestions for how they can improve the technology, ecosystem and better monetize their API.
When it comes to monetization many of the API owners seem to have a good grasp of how they are covering the base costs of operating their API, but are looking for ways to expand their revenue, and actually make their API profit engine.
Just like with web and mobile applications the first way people think about monetizing their API is using advertising. Though I don’t always agree with employing advertising as part of an API ecosystem, it makes sense that many owners are considering it. Advertising has been a primary revenue generator for web sites and applications, and has become a staple for mobile applications, using mobile advertising platforms like AdMob.
With this growing demand, I see a huge opportunity for someone to step up and provide a plug-and-play advertising network that API owners can deploy as part of their API ecosystems. An API advertising network could provide broad or specialized sponsored content that could be delivered within existing API content. An API advertising network would have different ways to filter and tailor content so advertising would not be intrusive and blend with the content already being delivered as part of an API, whether its delivering text, images, audio or video.
API advertising networks would have revenue sharing for developers built in. As an API owner I could choose to share advertising revenue with my developer ecosystem in any amount I wanted. Advertising would be pushed to all API calls made by developers, but they could be given an option to register for the revenue sharing program, and the system would track all ads delivered through a developers site or application, and pay out associated revenue.
Web advertising models like Google Adsense are great for website and application development, and mobile advertising platforms like AdMob are delivering for mobile developers, but there is a need to meet the advertising needs of API owners and their developer ecosystem. API advertising will need to deliver adaptive models that evolve with the new API economy, and help API owners further monetize their content and resources, while also providing much needed revenue sharing for their developer community.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform
- Next Stable Version of APIs.json + APIs.io Is Ready - Are Your APIs Discoverable?
- Expanding API Gateway Connectors Into A World of API Deployment Startups
- Where The Good IPAs Are In Chicago While At API Strategy And Practice In September
- The Blog For Your API Is The Most Important Signals You Can Send