Posted on 11-02-2011
I’m spending some time getting to know the Topsy Labs API today. Topsy Labs offers access to its proprietary metrics, social content, and influence data via a RESTful API. As I was reviewing, their API access and rates limit page caught my eye.
Here is their intro paragraph:
We provide limited, free API access so that you can quickly and easily test the service and confirm the value it will provide to your business. We have three different tiers to match your implementation.
What is interesting, is they not only provide a freemium level they have one better, a free and open tier, provider two introductory API access levels:
- No API Key - 3,000 queries/day – API calls that do not carry an API key will be limited to 3,000 queries/day.
- Free API Key - 7,000 queries/day – API calls that carry an API key will increase their limit to 7,000 queries/day.
Then they provide a quick link: Register to get started
What an inviting, frictionless way to getting started with an API. For those wanting more, they also provide information about obtaining a commercial API key:
Once you confirm the value of our API, you can get a commercial license, giving you more volume to accommodate your business needs, exposes other valuable API calls, provides you with technical support, and ensures you are guaranteed specific service level parameters.
The Topsy Labs approach provides an interesting model for some API owners to provide limited and free API access to their APIs, enabling developers to quickly and easily test the service and confirm the value before integrating.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape