Posted on 11-28-2011
"Are API service providers relevant? Will they remain relevant?"
Thats the question asked by Ben Kepes at this years Defrag Conference, while moderating a panel with Apigee's Sam Ramji and Mashery's Neil Mansilla.
It was a bold question to ask, perhaps, in front of an audience comprised of people from 3Scale, Apigee, Mashery and Alcatel Lucent -- all API service providers. And Sam's response was to dismiss Ben's question was “stupid”, steering the conversation elsewhere.
Sam seemed to interpret Ben’s question as an affront -- not just to Apigee but arguably to all the API providers in the room. But in light of Sam's own arguments about the importance of thinking about apps as intermediaries, I thought Ben's question was particularly interesting. After all, many of these API services providers do just that -- act as intermediaries.
On the surface Ben’s question may have seemed to be picking a fight with Sam, but I think he meant it, and was seriously asking it of the industry, and I feel it is an important question. I personally think API service providers have a role to play, and can stay relevant if...if they do not impose themselves as intermediaries, but I would love to hear what others think.
I believe doing business in the API space, centers around providing clear value to your customers, without getting in their way. In the words of Jeff Lawson of Twilio, "Get out of the way of the Doers!". This philosophy applies to API service providers as well.
To stay relevant, the API service providers have to practice what they preach to their customers; be service oriented, decouple and allow their customers to be doers via a self-service, clearly priced, secure platform while providing added value in the form of premium services. Without this practice, API services providers just reflect the old way of building and selling software, not the new API driven world.
Beyond the 3Scale, Apigee and Mashery API service providers of the world, we also need to acknowledge there is a continued need for open-source tools and platforms that can deliver the services that businesses need for their APIs. These tools allow for a vibrant ecosystem of service providers to support these tools and platforms just like with other open-source software communities. Maybe the existing API service providers can even contribute to these projects and champion the cause?
I guess my point is, that things change quickly, you have to have to be agile, flexible and deliver clear value to stay relevant. This applies to any business, API service providers are not exempt. In today's fast paced, technology driven business climate, I don't think any business leader can dismiss this question, and I think everyone should ask it often...how can I remain relevant? Great question Ben!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs