Posted on 11-29-2011
There was a post a couple weeks back in the New York Times Bits Blog called, "TaskRabbit Looks to Expand Cities and Offer an A.P.I."
Its a pretty straightforward post about the San Francisco based start-up, that gets you in touch with friendly, reliable people who can help you get just about anything you need done. At first glance, it is a pretty standard post. However I feel there are two things very notable about this post and more specifically, it’s title:
TaskRabbit Looks to Expand Cities and Offer an A.P.I.
One, the launching of an API is tied directly to the startups expansion into other cities. Those of us in the know, understand the important role an API plays in scaling your company, but explaining this to mainstream audiences is so important.
Two, that the acronym "API" gets used in a title of a mainstream publication like the New York Times. Of course they spell it out in the article, but the editor expects that the user will understand the acronym in the title.
There are many API stories in 2011, but I think this really shows APIs are coming of age, when it is acceptable for a wider, mainstream audience to accept the term into their vocabulary.
One of the things I like about APIs is they are a silent, but powerful force behind many industry sectors including e-commerce, social, cloud computing and mobile computing. I think this use of API in the NYT represent classic API style, a silent coming of age, showing APIs are being adopted by a mainstream audience.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet