Posted on 12-02-2011
I recently pulled the title, description and tags for all the APIs in the ProgramableWeb directory into a local MySQL database. At the time of this writing there are 4,480 public APIs in the directory.
My goal is build a better search and discovery interface, so I can get a handle on all these APIs. Which ones I should be paying attention to, recommending to developers and generally just have an awareness of what types of APIs are available.
Where do I start?
First I start with a keyword search on the title, description and tags associated with each API. I will build a bunch of custom search queries, but no matter how good my queries are, I’m still limited by whatever descriptions are associated with the APIs and whatever tags were applied. This is just search, it isn’t discovery or real-time tracking.
Having gone through whole categories of image APIs and storage APIs by hand I know there is a lot of crap APIs that aren’t in my opinion, real API efforts. They just throw up an API, register it with ProgrammableWeb and don’t actually have a supporting area for developers.
I need a way to programmatically rank each API while searching through APIs. When I search for photo management APIs, I want them sorted by some sort of value. Currently ProgrammableWeb uses the number of mashups of an API as a “popularity” ranking. I need more and I figured Compete and Alexa APIs could give me some sense of the value of each API based upon its domain. This is just a start and I want to establish a wide variety of metrics for measuring the value delivered by an API.
My API ranking algorithm is obviously a work in progress. I just figured I’d tell the story of how I evolve my API ranking algorthm here, and leave open for comment and others to add to. But as I work to make sense of 4,480 APIs, I can’t help but think--what does a world with 100K open APIs look like?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform
- Next Stable Version of APIs.json + APIs.io Is Ready - Are Your APIs Discoverable?