Posted on 01-08-2012
There are a lot of reasons for throwing a hackathon, and what value you get out of a hackathon will vary depending on who you are.
As I explore the hackathon phenomenom in 2012, I’m trying to track on what value hackathon organizers, API owners, mobile platforms, developers and other participants get out of hackathons.
I will be tracking on the different reasons people attend hackathons throughout the year, and share my findings, but here in January I know one thing for sure--hackthons are a marketing vehicle. Whether you are the hackathon organizer, an API provider or developer you are depending on the event to market your organization, business, API or talent and skills as a developer.
In future posts I will write, more about the marketing effect of hackathons, but I wanted to talk about a common mistake I’m seeing from hacakthon organizers--no Twitter hashtag for the event.
A Twitter hashtag is probably the most important marketing element of your hackathon. It should be everywhere, on your site, print materials, slides...everywhere. A hackathon organizer should be tweeting out every aspect of the event with the hashtag, before, during and after the event.
The hashtag will enable sponsors and other participating businesses to market themselves around the event. It will also allow hackathon developers to showcase their ideas, skills and applications.
While researching hackathons I have to spend a lot of time tracking down the event hashtag, and many times I have to ask an event organizer to provide it, and often there isn’t even one.
If your organizing an hackathon, make sure and establish a unique Twitter hashtag for event right away, and use it everywhere, everyone involved will benefit, and your event will be much more successful.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Two Things I Learned On Traffic And Weather Today
- Keep Your API Developer Area Blog Up To Date
- Interesting Example of Social Page Over At Cisco
- External API Deployments Using Sync One Possible Future Of Government API Deployments
- What Are Some Good Examples of Hypermedia APIs?
- API Driven Backend For Apps Using Orchestrate.io
- The APIs I Depend On To Run API Evangelist
- Service Composition for My Screen Capture API
- Liberate Government Data By Deploying Web APIs With Solr
- Moving Beyond My Basic 3Scale API Infrastructure Plan