Posted on 01-21-2012
One of the areas of API development I'm focusing a lot of energy on in 2012 is around monetization. I want to help define the playing field, of how API owners make money from their APIs, as well as how developers make money from their apps.
Both areas are extremely critical for the success of any API ecosystem. If the API owner does not have a clear path to generate revenue, the API won't be sustainable, and eventually will go away.
On the other side of the coin, developers have to be able to make money from their apps in order to sustain their work, and build a viable business around an API.
As part of my work on understanding the developer side of things, I'm doing several posts asking developers how they make or plan to make money from their apps. Two obvious ways immediately come to mind:
- App Sales - Download and service based fees around apps.
- Advertising - Web and mobile ads in apps.
Advertising has long held the title when it comes to monetizing apps, and iTunes and iOS sparked the mobile app gold rush. But what other ways are there?
How can developers make money from their apps in ways that make them successful and sustainable? At CityGrid we have "Places that Pay", where users get paid for showing certain business profiles, and we are working on other versions of "Content that Pays", in the future. But there has to be other innovative ways to make money from web and mobile app development.
Let me know how you are making money from your apps!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems