Posted on 01-21-2012
I just wrapped up two separate Facebook Hackathons, one in New York and the other in Boston. Both events started with presentations from various Facebook team members, demonstrating different aspects of the Facebook platform.
After the Facebook workshops, there was a presentation by Jim Zimmerman of Thuzi, a preferred Facebook mobile development shop from Florida. During both his talks, he asked audience to raise their hand and show which platform they developed their mobile apps on.
The breakdown in New York, from my view was about:
- 25% iOS
- 25% Android
- 50% HTML5
While the breakdown in Boston, from my view was about:
- 10% iOS
- 10% Android
- 80% HTML5
In both cities HTML5 was the clear choice of developers. Even though Facebook still heavily focused on native app development during their workshops you can tell they were leaning heavily towards HTML5, by inviting PhoneGap to present, and giving away HTML5 t-shirts.
I don't think HTML5 has won the mobile battle by any stretch, but after seeing Adobes heavy focus on HTML5 at the Designing & Developing for Mobile Workshop in San Francisco, and now the dominance of it by developers at both Facebook Mobile Hacks, I think the tide is turning.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format