Posted on 02-13-2012
I am an eternal optimist, especially when it comes to APIs. I really feel that APIs can decouple businesses assets and resources, making these companies much more efficient.
We’ve seen the power of the API when it comes to companies like Twitter, Twilio, Facebook and many others. But to build something on top of an API, you have to be a do-er.
A do-er is a term invented by Jeff Lawson (@jeffiel) of Twilio:
Do-er (n): A particularly driven individual, esp. a developer, who picks up their tools and builds something special.
Do-ers are a fundamental ingredient in API ecosystems, and when I go to many conferences and walk by booths I see a fundamentally different process of holding peoples hands and showing them what they need to know. I also see many companies relying on this process to even make money.
So I have to ask--are we creating enough do-ers?
I am very optimistic about the future of API growth, but I do worry sometimes about there being enough doers to make APIs continue to grow. Many individuals are so used to the regular sales cycle and corporate training, they don’t seem equipped to find solutions to their problems on their own.
Are you a do-er? Do you think there are enough do-ers out there?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs