I'm a member of a Google group called API Craft. There are some really smart API folks talking about everything from API deployment to API business strategies there.
The other day someone in the groups asked:
How does someone measure success in developing and deploying a public–facing Web API?
- Revenue - For public APIs, could be affiliate program revenue, ad revenue, or if incremental traffic from apps to the website has a known monetization rate
- Reach - Incremental new user accounts or unique users
- Partnerships - Number of new partnerships established around your API
- Apps - The number of new apps developed using your API
- Traffic - Apply percentage of incremental traffic ("our API channel is now X% of total internet traffic")
- Brand - Measuring increased 'brand', but only if the company has an really established way to do this
Scott goes on to say:
When it comes to business metric tracking one thing i've seen work well is when the API team publishes a 'dashboard' widely and regularly - tracking actual results to estimates - because it helps PM focus the roadmap on what moves the business needle as agreed and avoid getting the team pulled in different directions.
Each API could potentially have different success factors depending on the type of API or the goals of a company. But revenue, reach, partnerships, apps, traffic and increased brand awareness are good places to start. Thanks Scott.
|Apps, Brand, Metrics, Partnerships, Reach, Revenue, Success, Traffic|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space