Posted on 03-20-2012
Boston API Jam organizer Sqoot just got themselves into a lot of hot water with some very sexist comments on their hackathon home page (now removed):
From what I can tell, Sqoot was called out by @BoazSender:
Then the pressure quickly was put on in the Twittershpere:
Resulting in Apigee pulling their sponsorship:
And Heroku pulling theirs as well:
Sqoot quickly released an "apology" which included:
"While we thought this was a fun, harmless comment poking fun at the fact that hack-a-thons are typically male-dominated, others were offended."
Their "apology" definitely summarizes the misogynistic tone of the spreading Silicon Valley startup and hackathon culture.
This is a major problem. One of my biggest complaints about many hackathons is that they are male dominated, and this is nothing to joke about, make fun of or take lightly. You don’t realize it when all you do is attend the all boy hackathons and do your bro-gramming.
I’ve been to hackathons where there are equal sexes, and they are awesome-- way more fun, and truly work to solve real life problems, not perceived problems.
I hope other blogs will publicize this, and make other hackathon organizers aware so this kind of shit doesn’t not only go away, but we start working the other direction and making sure EVERYONE feels welcome at hackathons.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format