Posted on 03-20-2012
Boston API Jam organizer Sqoot just got themselves into a lot of hot water with some very sexist comments on their hackathon home page (now removed):
From what I can tell, Sqoot was called out by @BoazSender:
Then the pressure quickly was put on in the Twittershpere:
Resulting in Apigee pulling their sponsorship:
And Heroku pulling theirs as well:
Sqoot quickly released an "apology" which included:
"While we thought this was a fun, harmless comment poking fun at the fact that hack-a-thons are typically male-dominated, others were offended."
Their "apology" definitely summarizes the misogynistic tone of the spreading Silicon Valley startup and hackathon culture.
This is a major problem. One of my biggest complaints about many hackathons is that they are male dominated, and this is nothing to joke about, make fun of or take lightly. You don’t realize it when all you do is attend the all boy hackathons and do your bro-gramming.
I’ve been to hackathons where there are equal sexes, and they are awesome-- way more fun, and truly work to solve real life problems, not perceived problems.
I hope other blogs will publicize this, and make other hackathon organizers aware so this kind of shit doesn’t not only go away, but we start working the other direction and making sure EVERYONE feels welcome at hackathons.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet