Posted on 04-17-2012
For the last couple weeks I’m neck deep in getting to know the developers who already use the CityGrid APIs. I want a better understanding of who a developer is, what kind of business they have and what they are looking to get out of the API.
- Twitter Profile
- LinkedIn Account
- Facebook Profile
- Google + Profile
- Github Profile
Usually I know the URL of their website, but if I don’t, I can extract from their email address or sometimes Rapportive will provide for me. I visit each developer’s site and look for:
- Blog w/ RSS Feed
- Business Contact Email
- Business Contact Form
Next I build a quick one sentence description, telling me who they are and what they do. I also assemble a comma separated list of keyword and key phrases that best represent what they do.
Before I’m done looking around their site I take a picture of their home page, so I have a visual reference to go with the developer profile. The home page image can go further than just a logo sometimes.
I take all of this information, put it into a database, and connected it to a JQuery Carousel that allows me to watch a slideshow that walks me through the world of my developers, and watch like a TV channel.
This process not only gives me a 100K understanding my developer ecosystem, but helps me remember as much as I can about each developer. From this I hope to better engage them on a daily basis as well as provide feedback to the CityGrid API roadmap based upon quality API developer segmentation.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization
- Project Idea: Codenvy-Like Containerized Spreadsheets