Posted on 04-23-2012
At most hackathons, the end goal is building a web or mobile application, using various platforms and APIs. Even though I’ve seen this evolve to data visualization, or mashing up SaaS platforms at some events, the app really tends to be the primary deliverable at hackathons.
So this week I’m spending time thinking of unique and interesting ways to present my sponsors for the CityGrid Hackathon this weekend in Santa Monica at CoLoft. One of our sponsors is 3Scale, one of my favorite API service providers, and while we see many of the API service providers including Apigee and Mashery involved in many of the hackathons you really don't see anything built using their platform. (I know they’ll ping me and say they do, but really your building using their clients.)
So for the CityGrid Los Angeles hackathon, I want to encourage developers to come up with ideas for APIs, develop the API and using 3Scale, deploy the building block that are essential that enable other developers to build on top of the API.
Not only do we need more, high value APIs, we need developers to be fluent in not just developing and deploying mobile and web apps, developers need to be fluent in designing, developing, deploying and managing APIs.
So if you have a great API idea and are in the Los Angeles area this weekend, come down to the CoLoft in Santa Monica and form a team and build your API, and deploy it using 3Scale, and you just might have a chance at winning $5,000.00 for your API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems