At most hackathons, the end goal is building a web or mobile application, using various platforms and APIs. Even though I’ve seen this evolve to data visualization, or mashing up SaaS platforms at some events, the app really tends to be the primary deliverable at hackathons.
So this week I’m spending time thinking of unique and interesting ways to present my sponsors for the CityGrid Hackathon this weekend in Santa Monica at CoLoft. One of our sponsors is 3Scale, one of my favorite API service providers, and while we see many of the API service providers including Apigee and Mashery involved in many of the hackathons you really don't see anything built using their platform. (I know they’ll ping me and say they do, but really your building using their clients.)
So for the CityGrid Los Angeles hackathon, I want to encourage developers to come up with ideas for APIs, develop the API and using 3Scale, deploy the building block that are essential that enable other developers to build on top of the API.
Not only do we need more, high value APIs, we need developers to be fluent in not just developing and deploying mobile and web apps, developers need to be fluent in designing, developing, deploying and managing APIs.
So if you have a great API idea and are in the Los Angeles area this weekend, come down to the CoLoft in Santa Monica and form a team and build your API, and deploy it using 3Scale, and you just might have a chance at winning $5,000.00 for your API.
|3Scale, API Deployment, API Management, CityGrid, Coloft, Hackathon, Los Angeles|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space