Posted on 05-14-2012
USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) has released a new, publicly available web API for its Livestock Mandatory Reporting (LMR) system, offering access to all historical LMR data, allowing users to pull large amounts of customized data sets via a RESTful interface with JSON embedded URLs and XML formatted output.
"The Livestock Mandatory Reporting program facilitates open, transparent price discovery and provides all market participants, both large and small, with comparable levels of market information for cattle, swine, sheep, beef and lamb meat," said Craig Morris, Deputy Administrator of the AMS Livestock and Seed Program. "This new web service will provide our customers with additional resources to obtain large volumes of data."
In 2001, USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service implemented the Livestock Mandatory Reporting program as required by the Livestock Mandatory Reporting Act of 1999, establishing a program to track information on the marketing of cattle, swine, lambs, and the products of such livestock, providing information that can be readily understood by producers to improve the price and supply reporting services of the Department of Agriculture, while also encouraging competition in the marketplace for livestock and livestock products.
A great example of APIs providing being used to manage and regulate industries while also letting markets freely operate, and encouraging competition. Imagine that, the best of both worlds.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform
- Next Stable Version of APIs.json + APIs.io Is Ready - Are Your APIs Discoverable?
- Expanding API Gateway Connectors Into A World of API Deployment Startups
- Where The Good IPAs Are In Chicago While At API Strategy And Practice In September
- The Blog For Your API Is The Most Important Signals You Can Send
- Public APIs Are Tough When You Are In A Tightly Controlled Industry
- Give Me A URL To Request Then Store My API Keys In My Private Github Repo