USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) has released a new, publicly available web API for its Livestock Mandatory Reporting (LMR) system, offering access to all historical LMR data, allowing users to pull large amounts of customized data sets via a RESTful interface with JSON embedded URLs and XML formatted output.
"The Livestock Mandatory Reporting program facilitates open, transparent price discovery and provides all market participants, both large and small, with comparable levels of market information for cattle, swine, sheep, beef and lamb meat," said Craig Morris, Deputy Administrator of the AMS Livestock and Seed Program. "This new web service will provide our customers with additional resources to obtain large volumes of data."
In 2001, USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service implemented the Livestock Mandatory Reporting program as required by the Livestock Mandatory Reporting Act of 1999, establishing a program to track information on the marketing of cattle, swine, lambs, and the products of such livestock, providing information that can be readily understood by producers to improve the price and supply reporting services of the Department of Agriculture, while also encouraging competition in the marketplace for livestock and livestock products.
A great example of APIs providing being used to manage and regulate industries while also letting markets freely operate, and encouraging competition. Imagine that, the best of both worlds.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space