Posted on 05-14-2012
USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) has released a new, publicly available web API for its Livestock Mandatory Reporting (LMR) system, offering access to all historical LMR data, allowing users to pull large amounts of customized data sets via a RESTful interface with JSON embedded URLs and XML formatted output.
"The Livestock Mandatory Reporting program facilitates open, transparent price discovery and provides all market participants, both large and small, with comparable levels of market information for cattle, swine, sheep, beef and lamb meat," said Craig Morris, Deputy Administrator of the AMS Livestock and Seed Program. "This new web service will provide our customers with additional resources to obtain large volumes of data."
In 2001, USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service implemented the Livestock Mandatory Reporting program as required by the Livestock Mandatory Reporting Act of 1999, establishing a program to track information on the marketing of cattle, swine, lambs, and the products of such livestock, providing information that can be readily understood by producers to improve the price and supply reporting services of the Department of Agriculture, while also encouraging competition in the marketplace for livestock and livestock products.
A great example of APIs providing being used to manage and regulate industries while also letting markets freely operate, and encouraging competition. Imagine that, the best of both worlds.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems