I’m documenting Twitter’s process of wrapping the URLs contained within tweets, using a shorter URL like t.co. I’m interested in understanding the opportunities around URL wrapping (aka URL shortening) as an API business strategy.
From an API business perspective, the reasoning for implementing URL wrapping as part of your API would be:
- Saving Space - By shortening URLs you are reducing the length of any string that contains URLs, and in cases like Twitters, every character counts
- Security - Twitter is actively combating URLs that carry malicious intent
- Analytics - Each shortened URL provides a mechanism for tracking clicks on URL within content
Shold URL wrapping be something API owners adopt for all content served up via an API? Could every URL within content served up via an API be wrapped, allowing tracking of clicks through that URL--no matter where that content ended up living after it left the API?
Just some initial thoughts, but it seems that a comprehensive linking strategy could be established, bundled with a URL shortening service like Bit.ly, Google URL Shortener or a custom service--and provide a new layer of metrics that could be used to tell how your developers and their application users are interacting with the content you serve up via your API.
|Analytics, Metrics, URL shortening, URL Wrapping|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space