Posted on 05-29-2012
Twitter just rolled back their architectural approach for Twitter.com back to a server side implementation.
Now they are "taking back control" of their front-end performance by moving the rendering back to the server. They don't say whether they don't use the APIs at all, but I am working under the assumption that they abandoned them.
Twitter felt the API driven web application architecture broke new ground, offered a number of advantages, but it lacked support for various optimization techniques available only on the server.
I was excited to see Twitter go with the API driven approach, along other sites, like the FCC. I hate to see them abandon it.
What does this say about an API oriented architecture?
Are we not ready? Are there are not enough tools for optimization, or the talent to deliver the performance necessary for Internet at scale via API driven architecture? Or maybe there are other business reasons for stopping eating their own dog food and going back to a server side architecture?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape