Posted on 05-31-2012
Pinterest and The Fancy are locked in a deathmatch, if you hadn't heard? Compete wrote back in February that The Fancy was poised to take over a chunk of Pinterest's traffic with their new webstore. Fast forward 5 months, The Fancy has just launched an update to their iOS which includes the ability to purchase products from the mobile app with just one click.
Nice move! The Fancy is definitely an easier and cleaner looking site than Pinterest, and with a monetization move, The Fancy could gain even more market share against Pinterest.
Now if The Fancy wanted to seal the deal and put a death nail in Pinterest's coffin, they should launch an API, and make The Fancy a platform. Don't just open up API access to your content--open up API access to your new commerce layer as well.
Once you have this mapped out, deploy a well crafted suite of embeddable objects, like share and buy buttons, along with essential widgets--all with the commerce layer built in.
Developers and non-developers will make sure The Fancy becomes ubiquitous across the web, and because you chose to consider monetization, while making your platform play, and included developers in this model, the entire platform will be sustainable and outlast anything Pinterest can come up with.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format