Posted on 05-31-2012
Pinterest and The Fancy are locked in a deathmatch, if you hadn't heard? Compete wrote back in February that The Fancy was poised to take over a chunk of Pinterest's traffic with their new webstore. Fast forward 5 months, The Fancy has just launched an update to their iOS which includes the ability to purchase products from the mobile app with just one click.
Nice move! The Fancy is definitely an easier and cleaner looking site than Pinterest, and with a monetization move, The Fancy could gain even more market share against Pinterest.
Now if The Fancy wanted to seal the deal and put a death nail in Pinterest's coffin, they should launch an API, and make The Fancy a platform. Don't just open up API access to your content--open up API access to your new commerce layer as well.
Once you have this mapped out, deploy a well crafted suite of embeddable objects, like share and buy buttons, along with essential widgets--all with the commerce layer built in.
Developers and non-developers will make sure The Fancy becomes ubiquitous across the web, and because you chose to consider monetization, while making your platform play, and included developers in this model, the entire platform will be sustainable and outlast anything Pinterest can come up with.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions