Posted on 07-16-2012
Next generation payment platform Dwolla just revamped the home page of their developer center to speak to the widest audience possible. When you land at developers.dwolla.com you are given two options:
- I don't code - You're a non-technical executive, the master of partnerships and products, and want to know why Dwolla is right for you
This is an approach I've been long advocating for, and rarely see in API areas. The best case study I always point out is the LinkedIn developers area, who provide buttons, widgets and embeddable tools that non-developers can put to use.
Why do this? Well according to Dwolla, "One of the biggest misunderstandings about API portals is that their purpose is only for developers. That’s just not true. Integrations start with a spark of curiosity, “Would this work for my company?” Technical or not, who asks that question is irrelevant at that point; how it’s answered is what determines the outcome."
Dwolla's approach reflects the core philosophy of why I started API Evangelist. I'm not advocating just to developers about the power of APIs, I'm evangelizing to the business leaders and decision makers about the power of APIs.
While actually integrating with your API might be a technical endeavor, much of the business decision around using your API will most likely be made by a non-developer. Make sure your API speaks more than just geek, and reaches as wide an audience as possible.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet