Posted on 07-16-2012
Next generation payment platform Dwolla just revamped the home page of their developer center to speak to the widest audience possible. When you land at developers.dwolla.com you are given two options:
- I don't code - You're a non-technical executive, the master of partnerships and products, and want to know why Dwolla is right for you
This is an approach I've been long advocating for, and rarely see in API areas. The best case study I always point out is the LinkedIn developers area, who provide buttons, widgets and embeddable tools that non-developers can put to use.
Why do this? Well according to Dwolla, "One of the biggest misunderstandings about API portals is that their purpose is only for developers. That’s just not true. Integrations start with a spark of curiosity, “Would this work for my company?” Technical or not, who asks that question is irrelevant at that point; how it’s answered is what determines the outcome."
Dwolla's approach reflects the core philosophy of why I started API Evangelist. I'm not advocating just to developers about the power of APIs, I'm evangelizing to the business leaders and decision makers about the power of APIs.
While actually integrating with your API might be a technical endeavor, much of the business decision around using your API will most likely be made by a non-developer. Make sure your API speaks more than just geek, and reaches as wide an audience as possible.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs
- Kicking Off Image Manipulation API Work