Posted on 07-18-2012
I was playing with Singly, a unified social API last night. One of the first things I saw, after landing on the home page, were two choices for signing up as a developer--one with Facebook or the other with my Github account.
I’m seeing Github as an option for API developer registration, more frequently these days. And it makes sense. Each of my social networks have a place in my life--Facebook is my more personal social network, Twitter my more public persona, Google is my business platform and Github reflects my developer profile.
When registering for APIs and development centric platforms I’d much prefer to keep these associated with my Github profile. And for an API owner it makes sense to have developers linked using Github, because of the social effects and interactions possible with code library repositories and documentation.
With two clicks I was signed up for Singly, using my Github, and I dropped into the dashboard where I was given an option to add my first application and begin integrating.
Developer registration using Github should be standard operating procedure for all APIs. Github is the social network I want APIs to interact with me on, and it is definitely where API owners want to connect with their developers, so they can further interact around code, documentation and all the other geeky goodness Github provides.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago