Posted on 07-18-2012
I was playing with Singly, a unified social API last night. One of the first things I saw, after landing on the home page, were two choices for signing up as a developer--one with Facebook or the other with my Github account.
I’m seeing Github as an option for API developer registration, more frequently these days. And it makes sense. Each of my social networks have a place in my life--Facebook is my more personal social network, Twitter my more public persona, Google is my business platform and Github reflects my developer profile.
When registering for APIs and development centric platforms I’d much prefer to keep these associated with my Github profile. And for an API owner it makes sense to have developers linked using Github, because of the social effects and interactions possible with code library repositories and documentation.
With two clicks I was signed up for Singly, using my Github, and I dropped into the dashboard where I was given an option to add my first application and begin integrating.
Developer registration using Github should be standard operating procedure for all APIs. Github is the social network I want APIs to interact with me on, and it is definitely where API owners want to connect with their developers, so they can further interact around code, documentation and all the other geeky goodness Github provides.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic