Posted on 07-20-2012
The current API development space is very self-ruled, in that web API developers have freed themselves of earlier SOA attempts to rigidly define and ultimately constricted API growth, into a more grassroots, community-owned approach to RESTful API design.
You can see this happen in real-time on the public Google Group called API Craft. API Craft was started by Apigee, as an open forum for sharing and developing knowledge and skills around APIs, where you can find the latest throughts, from the smartest people in the space.
I thoroughly enjoy the online version of API Craft, and just experienced my first offline version of API Craft at OSCON in Portland this week. Several API folks got together for beers and API Craft discussion at the White Eagle Saloon creating an awesome real-time, face-to-face extension of the online API Craft group--an experience I intend to initiate whenever I am in new cities around the country, and I encourage you to do the same.
I think Apigee has really started something important and feeling inspired, I wanted to share my thoughts on a definition of API Craft. Deriving from the dictionary definition of craft:
"Skill in doing or making something, as in the arts; proficiency" and "The membership of such an occupation or trade; guild."
I suggest the following definitions of API Craft:
"An online forum for sharing and achieving proficiency in the skill and art of web API design, development and management" and "A physical gathering for discussion of the skill and art of web API design, development and management while enjoying a craft beer and good food."
Apigee has started something that has taken on a life of its own, becoming a powerful, community driven approach to evolving the skill and art of web API design, development and management--both on and offline.
I encourage you do participate, and I’d love to hear your definition of API Craft, as well as more information your local API Craft gatherings. I look forward to seeing you online and in-person at the API craft gatherings.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke
- Swagger Definition Driven Sandbox And Simulation Data Templates For APIs
- Swagger API Definition Mapper
- Moving Beyond Just The PDF With A Single Page Report (SPR)
- Join Me For APIDays Berlin And APIStrat Europe This April 24th-25th 2015
- A Market For API Developer Credits
- Where Do Developers Get Idea That APIs Should Never Go Away?
- The Context.io API And Thinking Out Of The Box When Crafting APIs