Posted on 08-12-2012
When I started API Evangelist two years ago, I noticed some common practices by API owners, in how they tailored their API areas, and I started calling these API building blocks. I started a section of the site dedicated to my building block philosphy and showcased what I felt were the most common building blocks across the most successful APIs.
Two years later, and after having viewed just about every API publicly available, I have updated my building blocks section, based upon the practices of 1500 of the most successful APIs. Along with this update I have also published a white paper called The Building Blocks of a Successful API.
The Building Blocks of a Successful API is not meant to provide detail on implementing these building blocks, but shed light on the common ones used by the top APIs. The white paper is 32 pages long and provides:
- 73 Common API Building Blocks, in 18 Categories
- 30 Top APIs for Review While Planning Your API
- Building Block Checklist for Easy Review Before Launch
All of this information is freely available on this site, but will require some clicking to gather across pages and blog posts. If you can’t afford the white paper, I want you to be able to learn what you need to be successful. The Building Blocks of a Successful API is meant to be a single PDF, for you to easily read, and find success in planning your own API.
The Building Blocks of a Successful API is the first in a series of white papers I’m producing to provide the resources needed to successfully plan, deploy and manage your APIs while also producing the revenue I need to keep doing the research and writing the drives API Evangelist and API Voice.
Thanks for your support, and I good luck with your API!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs