When I started API Evangelist two years ago, I noticed some common practices by API owners, in how they tailored their API areas, and I started calling these API building blocks. I started a section of the site dedicated to my building block philosphy and showcased what I felt were the most common building blocks across the most successful APIs.
Two years later, and after having viewed just about every API publicly available, I have updated my building blocks section, based upon the practices of 1500 of the most successful APIs. Along with this update I have also published a white paper called The Building Blocks of a Successful API.
The Building Blocks of a Successful API is not meant to provide detail on implementing these building blocks, but shed light on the common ones used by the top APIs. The white paper is 32 pages long and provides:
- 73 Common API Building Blocks, in 18 Categories
- 30 Top APIs for Review While Planning Your API
- Building Block Checklist for Easy Review Before Launch
All of this information is freely available on this site, but will require some clicking to gather across pages and blog posts. If you can’t afford the white paper, I want you to be able to learn what you need to be successful. The Building Blocks of a Successful API is meant to be a single PDF, for you to easily read, and find success in planning your own API.
The Building Blocks of a Successful API is the first in a series of white papers I’m producing to provide the resources needed to successfully plan, deploy and manage your APIs while also producing the revenue I need to keep doing the research and writing the drives API Evangelist and API Voice.
Thanks for your support, and I good luck with your API!
|API Planning, APIs, Building Blocks, Successful APIs, Top APIs|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- An Open Source Code Catalog for your API
- Multi-Tenancy with WSO2 API Manager
- Ember, Angular, Backbone, Single Page Applications and APIs
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples