Posted on 08-21-2012
I’ve been running a monitoring script every night, so that I could tell when any of the federal department and agency have launched their digital strategy pages, per Barack Obamas Presidential directive that every Federal Government agency should have an API, and the White House CIO's strategy, entitled "Digital Government: Building a 21st Century Platform to Better Serve the American People"
I noticed that many of the departments and agencies aren’t properly using HTTP response codes, and when I pulled pages, I often get 302 redirects to 404 pages, so I tended to treat 301, 302, 500 as 404’s. Today, I noticed that some of them actually were redirecting to their digital strategies, published at alternate locations, other than directed by the White House strategy, which was [domain]/digitalstrategy.
Recognizing this I put in some logic to handle redirects and check if it was a valid strategy page, and after re-running the script I found 11 more digital strategies published, bringing the total to 14 to date:
With 246 federal departments and agencies, we have a long way to go, but I’m optimistic that we’ll see enough publish their strategies, identify enough high value data-sets to deploy as APIs, so that the developer community can get to work building some important web and mobile apps or data visualizations.
Once the other departments and agencies see what is possible, hopefully we can get more of them on board, creating somewhat of a domino effect for API deployment, getting us closer to a reality where machine readable data is as common as the PDF in Washington DC.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New Github Developer Program and Integrations Page
- I Have A Valuable API Resource, What Now?
- A Better Understanding Of Government APIs And Their Consumers Before Considering Charging For Use
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant
- Some Of The Common Building Blocks of Payment APIs
- API Badging and Credentialing To Demonstrate Skills
- Finding Good API Developer Talent Is Hard
- Common Building Blocks Of API Design
- APIs Coming Out Of The Netherlands