Posted on 08-28-2012
I did a roundup of Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) providers last week, which brought in a couple recommendations of other companies I should include, and some interesting feedback on how APIs can be integrated with MBaaS platforms.
A very interesting comment left on the post was about MBaaS vendor lock-in:
The big problem, IMHO, using a BaaS provider is the so called "vendor lock in". What if my backend provider changes the pricing models, or dismisses the service and go out of the business?
To address this issue, the commenter said they are building an open source MBaaS platform, which anyone will be able to download and install on the server or cloud platform of their choice.
Just like with the recent addition of an open source API management platform, I think an open source Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) would benefit the space tremendously.
While many of the MBaaS providers are catering to the most common needs of mobile application developers, I can envision an open source MBaaS platform opening up entirely new niche offerings that could provide developers with ready to go platforms for developing, deploying and managing very specialized mobile applications, without "vendor lock-in".
I would like to hear your thoughts on MBaaS vendor lock-in and whether an open source version is necessary.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs