Posted on 08-28-2012
I did a roundup of Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) providers last week, which brought in a couple recommendations of other companies I should include, and some interesting feedback on how APIs can be integrated with MBaaS platforms.
A very interesting comment left on the post was about MBaaS vendor lock-in:
The big problem, IMHO, using a BaaS provider is the so called "vendor lock in". What if my backend provider changes the pricing models, or dismisses the service and go out of the business?
To address this issue, the commenter said they are building an open source MBaaS platform, which anyone will be able to download and install on the server or cloud platform of their choice.
Just like with the recent addition of an open source API management platform, I think an open source Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) would benefit the space tremendously.
While many of the MBaaS providers are catering to the most common needs of mobile application developers, I can envision an open source MBaaS platform opening up entirely new niche offerings that could provide developers with ready to go platforms for developing, deploying and managing very specialized mobile applications, without "vendor lock-in".
I would like to hear your thoughts on MBaaS vendor lock-in and whether an open source version is necessary.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet