I’m building a small API that I want to allow developers to register for. I don’t want to make it a complicated registration process, I just want them to provide some sort of credentials and I will issWue a key that they can use to make API calls.
To keep it simple I’m offering a login using a Github account. Every developer has a Github account right? Well if they don’t, they should. The easiest way there is to enable your API with a Github login is Singly.
Next I need to link up my Github account to my Singly account, by adding an application to my Github account. I give it a name, URL and when adding the callback, I add a Singly specific callback--Singly will handle the rest.
Now I just add a login with Github button to my developer area with the following URL:
When one of my API developers click on the Github login, it will route them to Github for OAuth, back to Singly and to my API callback URL where I can grab the authorization code for the user.
Now I can reference my API developer using their Github account, using their profile image, name as well as having some stats about the user like how many repositories they have, number of followers and who they follow--which provides me a pretty good baseline metric for distinguishing active developers vs. in-active developers.
Github login should be default for all API providers. It reduces developer on-boarding friction with an API, and uses the social network that makes the most sense for API developers.
|Developers, GitHub, OAuth, Registration, Singly|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates
- An Open Source Code Catalog for your API
- Multi-Tenancy with WSO2 API Manager
- Ember, Angular, Backbone, Single Page Applications and APIs
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?