Posted on 09-12-2012
I’m updating the login and authentication for my content management system, APIs and other tools to provide authentication using Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Github by default. I’m using Singly as an authentication provider, because their aggregation of API authentication, endpoints and objects across these providers is easy and most efficient way I know to get this accomplished.
In addition to it being easy, I’m using Singly for another advantage. Each service Singly provides has a discovery endpoint, which provides me with metadata and the other endpoints each service provides. I want to use this meta data to derive a quick snapshot ranking of my authenticating user.
For example, when a user authenticates via Github Using Singly, I get the following meta data and endpoints:
Singly gives me 6 endpoints with data from the user’s activity in these areas. I’m looking to create an algorithm that will provide me with some quick ranking score based upon the number of repositories, followers and following a user has.
Right now I'm just going to add these up, take average across all my users that have logged in via Github. I’m sure I will evolve the design of the algorithm as I progress, but it should work for now.
My goal is to provide a little more insight into what type of user is signing up for my service, API or otherwise and possibly take different courses of action based upon their overall activity levels on Github. I mean, if they are Github superstar I want to know it, and also know if they aren’t very active at all.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform