Posted on 09-12-2012
I’m updating the login and authentication for my content management system, APIs and other tools to provide authentication using Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Github by default. I’m using Singly as an authentication provider, because their aggregation of API authentication, endpoints and objects across these providers is easy and most efficient way I know to get this accomplished.
In addition to it being easy, I’m using Singly for another advantage. Each service Singly provides has a discovery endpoint, which provides me with metadata and the other endpoints each service provides. I want to use this meta data to derive a quick snapshot ranking of my authenticating user.
For example, when a user authenticates via Github Using Singly, I get the following meta data and endpoints:
Singly gives me 6 endpoints with data from the user’s activity in these areas. I’m looking to create an algorithm that will provide me with some quick ranking score based upon the number of repositories, followers and following a user has.
Right now I'm just going to add these up, take average across all my users that have logged in via Github. I’m sure I will evolve the design of the algorithm as I progress, but it should work for now.
My goal is to provide a little more insight into what type of user is signing up for my service, API or otherwise and possibly take different courses of action based upon their overall activity levels on Github. I mean, if they are Github superstar I want to know it, and also know if they aren’t very active at all.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Turning Forms Into APIs: Crap In, Crap Out
- The Private Internal Tier Of My API Service Composition
- API Virtual Stack Composition Like The Absolut Drinks Data API
- An Operational Harness For My Screen Capture API
- Two Things I Learned On Traffic And Weather Today
- Keep Your API Developer Area Blog Up To Date
- Interesting Example of Social Page Over At Cisco
- External API Deployments Using Sync One Possible Future Of Government API Deployments
- What Are Some Good Examples of Hypermedia APIs?
- API Driven Backend For Apps Using Orchestrate.io