Posted on 10-25-2012
The most common use of Github by API providers is to publish API SDK's to the popular social coding platform. If you look at most of the the top API providers in operation today, you will find they are actively using Github to not just manage and publicize their API SDK's, but actively interact with their developer ecosystem in the process.
Github provides the necessary workflow for initial design, development and publicizing of API SDKs, allowing owners to create separate repositories for web-based SDKs like PHP, Python and Ruby and mobile SDKs for iOS, Android and Windows mobile.
By making API SDK's public repositories on Github you get all the code management benefits of Github, but also make them available for social interaction by your developers. They will be able to download, fork and potentially commit additions and modifications back to an SDK's repository, allowing owners to harness the creative potential of the developer community.
Active Github repositories for an API are an essential part of any API ecosystem. If you don't use Github for anything else, make sure you publish your SDK's as a public repository. It will make the development of your client libraries a much more social experience, providing huge benefits for your API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18F's, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract