Posted on 10-25-2012
The most common use of Github by API providers is to publish API SDK's to the popular social coding platform. If you look at most of the the top API providers in operation today, you will find they are actively using Github to not just manage and publicize their API SDK's, but actively interact with their developer ecosystem in the process.
Github provides the necessary workflow for initial design, development and publicizing of API SDKs, allowing owners to create separate repositories for web-based SDKs like PHP, Python and Ruby and mobile SDKs for iOS, Android and Windows mobile.
By making API SDK's public repositories on Github you get all the code management benefits of Github, but also make them available for social interaction by your developers. They will be able to download, fork and potentially commit additions and modifications back to an SDK's repository, allowing owners to harness the creative potential of the developer community.
Active Github repositories for an API are an essential part of any API ecosystem. If you don't use Github for anything else, make sure you publish your SDK's as a public repository. It will make the development of your client libraries a much more social experience, providing huge benefits for your API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems