Posted on 10-29-2012
As with most social platforms, Github provides oAuth for their platform, allowing developers to provide secure credentials and authentication for their users via a Github account.
Service providers like Singly are providing two click authentication using Github's oAuth. This allows any website or app to offer their users the ability to login with their Github profile.
Allowing authentication via Github is no brainer for API providers. Why require users to create yet another login, or even use Twitter or Facebook oAuth? Allow them to login and retrieve API keys via the one social profile that reflects the programmer side of their online profile.
Github login can be implemented in any programming language, and because it is oAuth, it is something end users will understand. In addition to providing easy authentication, you will be able to immediately see other important data about a developer that is available via their Github profile.
Consider the potential of using Github authentication as part of your API strategy.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Is Your API More Than Just A Footnote On Your Website?
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization