Posted on 10-29-2012
As with most social platforms, Github provides oAuth for their platform, allowing developers to provide secure credentials and authentication for their users via a Github account.
Service providers like Singly are providing two click authentication using Github's oAuth. This allows any website or app to offer their users the ability to login with their Github profile.
Allowing authentication via Github is no brainer for API providers. Why require users to create yet another login, or even use Twitter or Facebook oAuth? Allow them to login and retrieve API keys via the one social profile that reflects the programmer side of their online profile.
Github login can be implemented in any programming language, and because it is oAuth, it is something end users will understand. In addition to providing easy authentication, you will be able to immediately see other important data about a developer that is available via their Github profile.
Consider the potential of using Github authentication as part of your API strategy.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Making Sure The Most Important Layers Of API Space Stay Open
- A Common Place To Manage All The API Definitions In My World
- Swagger 2.0 For The Docker API
- On Being An API Broker For Hackathons
- Are You A Hypermedia Pragmatist?
- Do You Know That Hypermedia Is A Better Solution For Discovery Than APIs.json?
- API Service Idea: API Via Excel From Within Corporate Email
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke