Posted on 10-29-2012
As with most social platforms, Github provides oAuth for their platform, allowing developers to provide secure credentials and authentication for their users via a Github account.
Service providers like Singly are providing two click authentication using Github's oAuth. This allows any website or app to offer their users the ability to login with their Github profile.
Allowing authentication via Github is no brainer for API providers. Why require users to create yet another login, or even use Twitter or Facebook oAuth? Allow them to login and retrieve API keys via the one social profile that reflects the programmer side of their online profile.
Github login can be implemented in any programming language, and because it is oAuth, it is something end users will understand. In addition to providing easy authentication, you will be able to immediately see other important data about a developer that is available via their Github profile.
Consider the potential of using Github authentication as part of your API strategy.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- What Version Of The API Economy Are You Investing In?
- I Am Up To 34 APIs Out Of The Netherlands
- Hello World Product API With Blueprint, RAML And Swagger
- The New Github Developer Program and Integrations Page
- I Have A Valuable API Resource, What Now?
- A Better Understanding Of Government APIs And Their Consumers Before Considering Charging For Use
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant
- Some Of The Common Building Blocks of Payment APIs
- API Badging and Credentialing To Demonstrate Skills