Posted on 10-29-2012
As with most social platforms, Github provides oAuth for their platform, allowing developers to provide secure credentials and authentication for their users via a Github account.
Service providers like Singly are providing two click authentication using Github's oAuth. This allows any website or app to offer their users the ability to login with their Github profile.
Allowing authentication via Github is no brainer for API providers. Why require users to create yet another login, or even use Twitter or Facebook oAuth? Allow them to login and retrieve API keys via the one social profile that reflects the programmer side of their online profile.
Github login can be implemented in any programming language, and because it is oAuth, it is something end users will understand. In addition to providing easy authentication, you will be able to immediately see other important data about a developer that is available via their Github profile.
Consider the potential of using Github authentication as part of your API strategy.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Swagger Visualization Layer Using D3.js
- Establishing Common Dictionaries That Industries Can Use In Their API Design
- Top 5 Most Popular Themes On API Evangelist In 2014
- Query Parameter Determining Which Fields Are Queried For API Call
- Now Our Development Environment Is Now Containerized And Scalable Like Our Production Environment
- Guest Post: Let Our Sponsors Blow A Little Smoke Up Your Ass
- API Discovery Continues Its Move Into The IDE With Eclipse Che
- Evolving Beyond Just Resources Towards A More Experience Based API Design
- Another View of The API vs. Data Download Model
- If You Have A Publicly Available Mobile App You Have a Public API