Posted on 11-08-2012
I was trying to explain the experience of being at the Defrag Conference, to a friend the other day. We are both gearing up for the event, next week (November 14th & 15th), in Broomfield Colorado, and he had never been to one so I wanted to share a little about what the experience is like.
The Defrag event is organized by Eric Norlin, who also organizes Gluecon and Blur conferences, all at the Omni Interlocken resort in Broomfield. Each of Eric’s events have evolved each year, but currently reflect the following focus:
- Gluecon - Cloud, Mobile, APIs, Big Data for developers
- Defrag - What's coming next in technology
- Blur - Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
Eric has a unique way of bringing together the leaders from the space to discuss relevant technologies in a very intimate space. The Omni Interlocken resort is a very key element to the events, which makes it unlike other events I attend.
The first of Eric’s events I attended was a Gluecon, several years back. We drove out to the location, and I remember thinking, “oh man we are going to be stuck way out here for 4 days”. But as I learned, that is the point.
You are stuck in a very intimate location where you will eat killer grub, including beef sliders and drink some kick-ass craft beers while rubbing elbows and having deep technical and philosophical conversations with the deepest thinkers and leaders in our space.
Defrag and Glue are part of a small group of events I recommend you never miss in the space. I’m pretty burnt out on large technology conferences, but the value you walk away with from Defrag can’t be found anywhere else--putting Defrag in entireley different category for me.
I hope to see you at Defrag next week. If your there, I’ll buy you an IPA, while we talk APIs.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18F's, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract