When you operate an API, you need to make sure and communicate with your developer community about what your plans are for the future, so developers can plan their own roadmap, and keep in sync with the coming changes to the API.
In addition to issue management using Github, API providers can use Github to manage their roadmap using the milestones features of the social coding platform. Milestones can be directly related to issues or can be larger goals around where you intend to take your API.
Milestones give developers insight into what the plans are the future of an API, using just a title, description and target date. Milestones are one of the simplest aspects of an API, but can go a long way in creating goodwill with your developers.
API providers have to balance transparency versus giving away information to competitors, something that will take regular consideration. A transparent roadmap for your API will let developers prepare properly, while also letting them know what features are coming in the future--eliminating the possibility of competing with your own ecosystem.
Consider what you can include in your Github roadmap, and using Github for issue management.
|GitHub, Github 101, Roadmap|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates
- An Open Source Code Catalog for your API
- Multi-Tenancy with WSO2 API Manager
- Ember, Angular, Backbone, Single Page Applications and APIs
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends