Posted on 11-13-2012
I was listening to a story about Nevada quietly starting their implementation of health insurance exchanges, as part of what everyone loves to call Obamacare. I’m not even going to get involved in the politics and merit of making sure everyone is insured--I want to focus on the execution of it.
Immediately I think: Where is the state health insurance exchange platform API?
According to healthcare.gov an exchange is:
A mechanism for organizing the health insurance marketplace to help consumers and small businesses shop for coverage in a way that permits easy comparison of available plan options based on price, benefits and services, and quality. By pooling people together, reducing transaction costs, and increasing transparency, Exchanges create more efficient and competitive markets for individuals and small employers.
And the principles and priorities of state health insurance exchanges are:
- Establishing a State-based Exchange - Establishment of an Exchange is a critical step that States must take to be on track for achieving certification of an Exchange by January 1, 2013 under Section 1321.
- Promoting Efficiency - Exchanges must be mindful of costs for consumers, employers, and the federal government.
- Avoiding Adverse Selection - Successful Exchanges will avoid adverse selection by ensuring that those who buy through the Exchange are a broad mix of the healthy and the less healthy.
- Streamlined Access and Continuity of Care. Section 1311(d)(4)(F) requires Exchanges to evaluate and determine eligibility for applicants in Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and other health programs - Exchanges must also comply with all applicable federal statutes relating to nondiscrimination. The federal government will provide critical building blocks and financial support for achieving an efficient enrollment process including verification of eligibility for tax credits.
- Public Outreach and Stakeholder Involvement - Section 1311(d)(6) requires Exchanges to consult with a broad range of stakeholders in carrying out their activities.
- Public Accountability and Transparency - Accountability requires transparency. Section 1311(d)(7) requires public reports on Exchange activities, and Section 1311(e)(3) requires additional reporting, which should include standardized data reporting on price, quality, benefits, consumer choice and other factors that will help measure and evaluate performance.
- Financial Accountability - Section 1313 provides for the efficient and non-discriminatory administration of Exchanges, and seeks to prevent fraud and abuse.
If you are going to successfully implement 50 state health insurance exchanges that meet the definition, principles and priorities of the federal government objectives, you will need an open source platform, complete with a robust API strategy. Maybe it exists, and I’m unaware of it.
If you know more about current initiatives in this area, please let me know.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio