Posted on 11-28-2012
Social analytics provider PeopleBrowsr has won a temporary injunction against Twitter today, with a complaint filed in San Francisco Superior Court. It reads:
PeopleBrowsr seeks a preliminary and permanent injunction to prevent Twitter from destroying its business, interfering with PeopleBrowsr’s contractual and prospective business relations, and restraining competition in markets using Twitter data.
The complaint was filed in response to a trheat from Twitter to cut off PeopleBrowsr’s access to its Firehose by November 30, 201 PeopleBrowsr has had access to the full Twitter full firehose for over four years. According to the complaint:
PeopleBrowsr’s products require the full Firehose feed. A mere sample of Twitter data is insufficient for PeopleBrowsr to provide the products its users expect. Though there are some data analytics companies that can provide certain limited types of Twitter data analysis based on sampling, PeopleBrowsr competes in a separate “Twitter Big Data Analytics” market, in which a few, highly sophisticated players analyze massive amounts of Twitter data to provide deeper insights.
Twitter’s decision to terminate PeopleBrowsr’s firehose follows a pattern of it consistently cutting off partner and developer access to the platforms and its data. In doing so Twitter has sought more control in their effort to monetize the social networking platform and provide investors with a return on their investment of almost 1.4B dollars.
PeopleBrowsr states that it has “invested millions of dollars and years of work in building a business based on the Firehose”. It says it did so in rlying on Twitter’s representations that it would maintain an “open ecosystem” and allow other companies to use of its data. Through agreements with Twitter PeopleBrowsr felt it could compete without fear that Twitter would cut off access to its data in order to influence which businesses succeed or to usurp business opportunities for itself.
Twitter has consistently described the Firehose as a part of this open ecosystem that it would make available to “everyone in the system”, and this open approach was a key component of Twitter’s business strategy.
The injunction PeopleBrowsr received today will keep their firehose access open until January, when further hearings on the case will be held. Until now, all the outcy regarding Twitter’s restriction of access to the platform have been vocal, but without any legal action. The filing by PeopleBrowsr shows the situation has truly become serious and will move discussion about Twitter access from the tech blogosphere and hacker news into the U.S legal system.
Disclosure: API Evangelist has provided API strategy services to PeopleBrowsr.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape