Posted on 11-29-2012
The team over at Chartboost have a pretty forward thinking blog post about what they see as the next generation of web application development.
They feel that the future is about creating web applications, not sites. The server side should be an API and the client should be a self-contained app which uses the API as its back-end. With mobile applications following the same pattern.
To practice what they preach, Charboost is overhauling their help site to be an API driven web app using the following approach:
- JSON-API - A REST API providing JSON to drive the site
- Responsive Design - Providing an application design that responds to mobile as well as it does laptops or desktop computers
- Vector (Icon Fonts & CSS) - Using a combination of icon fonts and CSS3 to deliver the UI. SCSS - A new technology that uses CSS-preprocessing to make the CSS code cleaner and res-usable
- Markdown - Using the simple markup language to allow anyone on their team to write and edit help articles
- GitHub - Using Github to manage the help center as an open project
Or as Chartboost puts it:
We believe that the web is finally reaching a tipping point. The culmination of a decade of incremental improvements to web technologies is upon us, and lets us do things in a way that is radically new and better.
I’m also playing around with my own approach to delivering apps in this way using Github + Jeckyll + Mustache Templates with JSON data stores, all running as open repositories using Github Pages.
I’ll have more to publish on this in the near future.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Excel As An API Datasource As Well As A Client For The Masses
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources