Posted on 11-29-2012
The team over at Chartboost have a pretty forward thinking blog post about what they see as the next generation of web application development.
They feel that the future is about creating web applications, not sites. The server side should be an API and the client should be a self-contained app which uses the API as its back-end. With mobile applications following the same pattern.
To practice what they preach, Charboost is overhauling their help site to be an API driven web app using the following approach:
- JSON-API - A REST API providing JSON to drive the site
- Responsive Design - Providing an application design that responds to mobile as well as it does laptops or desktop computers
- Vector (Icon Fonts & CSS) - Using a combination of icon fonts and CSS3 to deliver the UI. SCSS - A new technology that uses CSS-preprocessing to make the CSS code cleaner and res-usable
- Markdown - Using the simple markup language to allow anyone on their team to write and edit help articles
- GitHub - Using Github to manage the help center as an open project
Or as Chartboost puts it:
We believe that the web is finally reaching a tipping point. The culmination of a decade of incremental improvements to web technologies is upon us, and lets us do things in a way that is radically new and better.
I’m also playing around with my own approach to delivering apps in this way using Github + Jeckyll + Mustache Templates with JSON data stores, all running as open repositories using Github Pages.
I’ll have more to publish on this in the near future.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke
- Swagger Definition Driven Sandbox And Simulation Data Templates For APIs
- Swagger API Definition Mapper
- Moving Beyond Just The PDF With A Single Page Report (SPR)
- Join Me For APIDays Berlin And APIStrat Europe This April 24th-25th 2015
- A Market For API Developer Credits
- Where Do Developers Get Idea That APIs Should Never Go Away?
- The Context.io API And Thinking Out Of The Box When Crafting APIs