The team over at Chartboost have a pretty forward thinking blog post about what they see as the next generation of web application development.
They feel that the future is about creating web applications, not sites. The server side should be an API and the client should be a self-contained app which uses the API as its back-end. With mobile applications following the same pattern.
To practice what they preach, Charboost is overhauling their help site to be an API driven web app using the following approach:
- JSON-API - A REST API providing JSON to drive the site
- Responsive Design - Providing an application design that responds to mobile as well as it does laptops or desktop computers
- Vector (Icon Fonts & CSS) - Using a combination of icon fonts and CSS3 to deliver the UI. SCSS - A new technology that uses CSS-preprocessing to make the CSS code cleaner and res-usable
- Markdown - Using the simple markup language to allow anyone on their team to write and edit help articles
- GitHub - Using Github to manage the help center as an open project
Or as Chartboost puts it:
We believe that the web is finally reaching a tipping point. The culmination of a decade of incremental improvements to web technologies is upon us, and lets us do things in a way that is radically new and better.
I’m also playing around with my own approach to delivering apps in this way using Github + Jeckyll + Mustache Templates with JSON data stores, all running as open repositories using Github Pages.
I’ll have more to publish on this in the near future.
|Chartboost, Mobile Applications, Web Applications|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space