I got back last night from France, where I spent the week at the #APIDays conference, billed as the first international event on APIs in Europe. The two day event was organized by faberNovel, who helps large organizations think and act like startups, and byWebShell, who enables developers to easily make advanced web and mobile applications based on APIs
After some scheduling shuffling due to speaker cancellations API Days asked me if I’d do three talks on APIs, instead of just my one--resulting in these three presentations:
- Building Blocks (Bricks) For Your Developer Portal
- The Secret to a Successful API is Internal
- Business Models for Your API as a Start-Up
While the building blocks presentation is my usual material (but needs to be told over and over to new audiences), the other two talks represents entirely new work based upon other stories and research I’ve done in the past.
I learned a lot while at API Days. It was about 200 people, discussing APIs over the course of two days. I was really impressed with the passion everyone had for APIs and the genuine interest in understand the essence of the web API movement--discussing ideas, philosophies and approach rather than just the technology of APIs.
I feel an awakening occurring in Europe right now in regards to APIs. My Twitter has lit up in the past three months with new European based followers focusing on APIs, and flood of new requests for discussions and information about APIs.
With a very healthy stance on transparency, privacy and data ownership I think the EU has an excellent opportunity to become a major player in the API economy, and I predict good things to come out of not just France, but other EU countries in 2013.
I look forward to getting back soon, and talking APIs!
|API Days, France, paris|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space