Posted on 12-17-2012
a combination of software and services that easily and cost-effectively helps customers see more so they can do more to achieve optimized building performance and energy efficiency
To understand what Panoptix enables...imagine if all of our buildings:
- Thought for themselves
- Teach us to reduce energy consumption
- Diagnose problems in real-time
- Self correct when necessary
- Call a service provider when they need repair or tuning
Panoptix starts with a cloud-hosted platform that enables buildings to collect and manage data, along with tools for automating operations at the building and space levels providing metering for electricity, water, gas oil steam, carbon and weather--with very granular level reporting up to overall trends of energy use.
To grow Panoptix, Johnson Controls introduced a marketplace of apps combined with supporting news, information, resources and entire community dedicated to building performance and efficiency management.
This marketplace and community is driven by an API developer area, allowing anyone to sign up and get to work developing apps and start selling them in the Panoptix marketplace. The Panoptix API is free to use for anyone looking to developer one app, allowing you to collect 70% of revenue from app sales in the marketplace (an essential ingredient for developer success).
I like Johnson Controls approach to building a community around building management applications, data and resources--complete with a API driven developer area. It’s great to see a 125 year old company open up their hardware and software with such an innovative approach.
I’ll be digging further into how Johnsons Controls deployed the Panoptix API, with further entries to this blog series, and a full case study on their approach to delivering their API driven building management platform.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas